Sweet, sweet maize Thu, Oct 19, 2017
I think everyone can agree that candy corn is an iconic Halloween sweet. If there is one candy that perfectly represents the Halloween spirit, this would be the one. Whether you like it or completely hate it, here are some information and facts on the candy that I found interesting:
1. Candy corn was invented in the 1880s by George Renninger, a candy maker at the Wunderle Candy Company in Philadelphia.
2. The Goelitz Confectionery Company, now called Jelly Belly Candy, started making candy corn in 1898 and is the oldest existing manufacturer of this Halloween icon.
3. In 1950, the price of candy corn was about 25 cents per pound. Today, Jelly Belly sells it for $8.99 a pound.
4. About 9 billion kernels of candy corn - more than 35 million pounds – are sold annually, according to the National Confectioners Association.
5. For those of you counting macros... one kernel of candy corn is about 5 calories. A one-ounce serving has 110 calories.
6. According to the National Confectioners Association, candy corn is the second-most favorite Halloween treat, with chocolate being the first choice.
7. Candy corn is not limited to Halloween. In fact, it is available during other holidays as well:
- Cupid Corn for Valentine’s Day (pink, red and white)
- Reindeer Corn for Christmas (green, white, and red)
- Bunny Corn for Easter (various pastel colors)
- Indian Corn for Thanksgiving (brown, orange and white)
8. October 30 is National Candy Corn Day.