Happy President's Day Wed, Feb 13, 2019
In honor of the upcoming federal holiday here are some fun facts about George Washington:
- He was actually born on February 11, 1731 but when the colonies switched to the Gregorian calendar his birthday moved 11 days. And since his birthday fell before the old date for New Year's Day, but after the new date for the New Year's Day, his birth year was changed to 1732.
- He powdered his hair to make it look white
- No one will ever rank higher than him in the U.S. military. In 1976 he was posthumously awarded the highest rank ever in the U.S. military - General of the Armies of the United States.
- He spent the early part of his career as a professional surveyor.
- He was a dog lover. He had more than 30 hunting hounds.
- He lost more battles than he won.
- His teeth weren't actually made from wood. He had many false teeth made out of different combinations of rare hippopotamus ivory, human teeth and metal fasteners. And he took the oath of office while wearing a special set of dentures made from ivory, brass and gold.
- He is the only president to actually go into battle while serving as president.