Swimming with Sea Turtles Fri, Aug 03, 2018
On my trip to Maui I was lucky enough to swim next to a family of Green Sea Turtles and I just wanted to share some fun facts about these amazing animals.
- they can weigh up to 500lbs
- only 1 in 5000 hatchlings survives incubation
- can grow up to 5ft
- their average lifespan is 80 years
- they are regularly found resting under underwater ledges, basking on beaches, and nibbling on algae in shallow waters
- despite their name, green sea turtles do not actually appear “green” – at least from the outside. Instead, the name “green” comes from the color of their internal fat tissue, which is green due to a diet that primarily consists of algae
The best snorkel spots in Maui to swim with sea turtles are Makena, aka “Turtle Town”, Olowalu, and Honolua.